like with this piece...which I really wanted to work. During my teaching career, one of the workshops I taught was "Bobbin Couching and Stumpwork" which involved working with heavy threads in the bobbin.This is a great technique when you want to use a heavy thread for texture but it's too heavy to fit through the eye of a needle. Winding it on the bobbin and working from the back so the heavy thread appears on the front is the way to go. Couching is the overall design you see in the center; the stumpwork is the heavy build-up of threads you see on the applique edges .The original sample looked a lot like this. When I finished teaching, the original was turned into a small wall hanging with an appliquéd tree in the middle. It was part of an exhibit/sale at the NC Arboretum and did very well, especially since it embraced a nature theme which the arboretum encouraged.
Sunday, January 17, 2021
The paint I used is a fabric friendly paint which means it contains a special binder making it permanent on fabric. It's made by Speedball and very thick making it ideal for silk screening...You can see how dark, heavy and "globby" (new word) the image is. It has nothing to do with the paint itself...just the screen image was a poor choice. I should have chosen something more delicate.....AND TESTED IT!
So here is my big mistake and I hope I learned a lesson to not be in such a hurry and do a little experimenting before diving into the final piece...So maybe I'll be able to get a few cards out of this...we'll see...
Have a great day and til next time.
Thursday, January 7, 2021
This is a new piece, very small that uses a wonderful technique created by Wen Redmond.
Basically, it uses 2 prints of the same photo - one on an opaque fabric and the other on a sheer fabric such as silk organza. The idea is to layer the 2 images with 3/4" of space between them....That is
accomplished by using a pre-stretched canvas, cutting away the canvas part. The outer wooden frame is covered with black felt or batting and the opaque print is attached to the back of the frame. But before it is attached, stitching or further embellishment can be done. I used a metallic thread which creates a pretty little sparkle underneath the top layer of organza. A staple gun was used to attach the opaque fabric to the back.
Next, the sheer fabric of the same print is applied to the front where the canvas was cut away.
The opening with the organza should be perfectly even when it is stretched over the top. The fabric frame should also be even all around from side to side and top to bottom. This part was tedious also as I used T-pins to hold the fabric in place and worked from top to bottom and side to side, alternating sides with each pin added. You can understand why working with a small frame is so advantageous.
I found an empty bin I could lay the piece on top of, which imitated a flat surface and easy to maneuver around.
A tedious process....Once the fabric is wrapped round to the back and secured in place with an electric stapler, trim the edges of the frame fabric to within 1/2" of the staples. Cover the back (forgot to take a picture of this) with a pretty backing fabric