Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Small Studies

I've been using up scraps of fabric to do these small studies. They're a lot of fun and it's easy to try something new with not much of an investment in time or materials. I decided to mat them and back them with foamboard. The mats are a standard size (11x14) making them easy to frame. The opening is 8x10. The first one is a study in trees. The left side is a monoprint, the right side is a tree made of sheer fabric. There's a minimum amount of stitching - just enough for interest.
This next study uses one of my hand dyed fabrics on both sides, the left side being stamped. I have a wonderful leaf stamp I probably use too much. In this case, it was stamped on sheer painted organza using Lumiere paint, then cut out and the edges burned. The leaves were attached using a monofilament thread and stitching down the middle following the vein line. This last one is another study in trees using hand dyed fabric. The tree is a photograph manipulated and made into a line drawing using photoshop. From the line drawing, I was able to make a silk screen. I screened discharge paste on the fabric. The left side had me stumped until I came upon this printed tree on silk organza. I like the way you can see through to the fabric underneath.

1 comment: