On a recent trip to a fabric outlet, I spotted a piece of fabric on the way out the door. I had to have it, so I went back inside and waited on line again for measuring and pricing. You see - it was a flocked fabric and not one of the prettier ones as far as the actual fabric goes. The background was synthetic, shiny and slippery - not something I would use, but the flocked design was amazing! My thoughts immediately went to using it for printing. The relief of the flocking was high enough to place a fabric over it and using a brayer, maybe, just maybe a design would appear.
So I taped the fabric onto my work table.
I used a fairly thick textile screening paint so it would not migrate. I used a piece of plastic to hold the paint and ran the brayer over and through it until it appeared evenly on the brayer.
Next I taped a piece of fabric over the flocked fabric and rolled the brayer over the top. I used a gentle touch, too much pressure could lose the design. I wasn't sure if it would work, but Yes! Success!
The color is not real even, that might take some practice, but honestly, I think I prefer it this way - it's more interesting. If I were making a whole cloth for a garment, I would strive for an even application or depth of color but I'll be cutting this up to use in quilts.