Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Small Works - The Last Leaf

I've been working on smaller pieces because the size is so manageable I can see results quickly.  Life has been hectic here and I'm thankful for the short spurts of time I have in my studio.  The piece below uses sheer overlays so it will also work as a sample for my new workshop - Layered Naturescapes. I started with one of my photographs, enlarged and copied on a laser copy machine. I then transferred the copy to fabric using something called "Picture Perfect" - kind of like an acrylic medium. The fabric has the paper photo on top.
I then screened a tree on top to add more dimension and contrast.
Next step was to machine quilt using a "glitzy" thread on the bottom layer.  A shiny thread will show through the sheer layer.
I painted silk organza using Dye-na-Flow paint.  I bunched the organza to allow the paint to flow into the valleys leaving dark and light areas.  I love using this paint as you can water it down quite a bit without losing intensity of color.  It also works on all fabric types and is heat set with an iron.  Nothing could be easier.
Once it was layered, I added a border on the bottom
and a small green strip on the side to liven it up. I found the darker fabric in my stash of scraps; it had already been screened with discharge paste.
I've used this screen many times; I can't stop myself - it's one of my favorites.
The finished piece has a small leaf on the outside layer - upper right corner, hence the name Trees III - the Last Leaf of Summer.

1 comment: