Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Paperdolls, presents and Fiber Junkies

We had our Fiber Junkies holiday gathering today to eat, drink and be merry and also do some fun planning for next year. Our group is small which allows us to meet and spread out in each other's homes.  We play with various techniques and products so each meeting is very productive as well as great fun. We have some fabulous ideas for next year including working with fimo, felting, making textured boards, improvisational screenprinting etc..etc... We always have Show and Tell. Val surprised us with a beautiful hand blown glass ornament.  This little beauty immediately found a place front and center on my tree - and the first ornament I see.
 Kate showed us a quilt she had made some time ago for perhaps a granddaughter someday.  Kate and I both loved paperdolls as children and still do.  Seeing this quilt brought me back in time.
 Each doll had it's own block so you could dress it with clothes.
Some were carrying pets or dolls...just so cute.
 Kate also purchased  fabric print of clothes for these dolls....
 which she back with a fusible fleece so when cut out, they would stick to the doll on the quilt. Mary suggested making little suitcases to hang along the bottom to hold the clothes. This group just keeps getting cleverer and cleverer.
 And to my surprise, Kate gave me a panel of fabric with 8 different dolls and clothes to make my own paperdoll quilt. I was speechless and excited AND I felt like a little kid again.
 Here are some of the adorable panels I have to work with.
Even a little boy panel (actually there were 2 panels of boys but I love this one with the costume)
 I will be making this for Audrey when she gets a little older but we might, just might have to share this quilt.
If I wasn't so busy, I would start it tonight. What a great day, being with such wonderful and thoughtful friends, yummy food, amazing surprises and a great year to look forward to - I'm a lucky gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment