Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Small Studies - Leaf 2

I really like doing these small pieces, especially when time is limited and I want some instant gratification. I created this small piece a little while back,  but never got to posting it.  
I started with some hand dyed fabric.
Using my favorite leaf stamp, I stamped on silk organza which had been painted with Dye-na-Flow.
I loosely cut it out and finished the edge with a wood burning tool which gives that nice, dark edge to the leaf.
Using some marbled fabric from my stash, I combined it with very bright colors.
I used some metallic couching thread on some of the edges to add a little sparkle.  The transparent leaves were placed on top and stitched in place using a monofilament thread.  The stitching was done using the natural vein lines of the leaf.
Stamping was done on the yellow fabric to add some zing and the whole piece was placed in a pre-cut mat. It's quite a small piece but with the addition of the mat, it really has some presence.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful piece. Did you by any chance carve that oak leaf stamp yourself? It looks really good, and I've never seen one commercially that looks that great. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, I didn't carve the stamp....you can see the stamp I used ....second picture in the post. It's my favorite stamp. I got it from Nasco Arts and Crafts - a mail order company that caters to teachers - www.nascofa.com and the order number on the stamp is 9714351 if they still carry it...it comes with 5 other leaves - all great. In their 200 page catalog, only 1 page of stamps...

      Delete
    2. Thank-you so very much. I'm going to ask for a set of these for my birthday. Diane

      Delete
  2. I love the leaves, interesting idea to burn the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work--simple but elegant. Does the writing have any verbal meaning or is it just there for the great texture it provides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing on this piece is just there for texture and was created with a stamp. Most of the time, I do use writing that is personal...I have silkscreens of my grandmother's handwritten recipe book and my mom's old autograph book.

      Delete