Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fiber Junkies - Vinyl Silk Screens

Our Fiber Junkies group met yesterday at Gen's house...we were chomping at the bit to get together after all the snow delays. Kate suggested we try making vinyl silk screens - a technique she saw demonstrated at a quilt show and graciously agreed to lead the pack.
 This is the package of vinyl we used.
 And our workspace with all the luscious colors of paint for screening.
 We were to bring a design that could be cut into a screen...such as the one above.  I originally wanted the bottom 4 pods and stem but then added the top...because....why not.
 Next was the tracing of the design onto the "paper side" of the vinyl backed paper. We used exacto knives and mats to cut away the design.  I brought the traditional exacto knife but Kate had a variety for us to choose from. This smaller one gave me more leverage and having a hand tremor, it worked much better for me.
 This is the design cut out and ready to mount onto the sheer fabric.  A crisper sheer such as organza seemed to work better.
 This part was a little tricky as my design was more complex. You have to peel away the paper layer - the part that looks like a grid, leaving the sticky vinyl exposed.
 The vinyl is laid on top of the sheer fabric...I needed another pair of hands to prevent the vinyl from folding back on itself. Once it's in place, flip it over so the sheer side is facing up.
 Iron with a dry iron for 8 seconds on each area allowing the vinyl to bond with the fabric. Flip it over and do the same on the other side, making sure to protect the vinyl from the iron.
 The silk screen is ready to have its edges taped for stability.  Pretty colored duct tape makes it fun.
 Mark the top of the screen for design orientation and also the correct side to use.  You're using this screen with the vinyl on the underneath side and the sheer on top. Place it on your fabric and tape in place.
 Use a textile paint for screening...and here's the results.
 I loved the way Kate did some layering of colors...looks like a rose garden.
 And Denny who did more than one, but this is her first attempt...I love her choice of background fabric.
Mary had some luscious dyed charmeuse silk...and this is her screen...looks like a forest which I'm sure Mary will embellish with her beautiful beading.  I also did one using this fabric and another I forgot to take a picture of....
This was a real nice alternative to using a Thermofax screen. It has a different look...a little more "hand done" which I love as it's so creative.  Also, more simple shapes because you can't do anything real complex. It was a lot of fun and a great day and so good to be hanging with girlfriends again!
Next time...our wonderful show and tell.

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent. Thanks so much for detailing the process. The green is especially intriguing. It will be fun to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete