Friday, December 4, 2015

Christmas Pillows

I haven't had much time in the studio with holidays, shopping, company but I did manage to squeeze in some sewing time over the Thanksgiving holidays. Actually, my daughter Jill, wanted Christmas pillows in plaid which were impossible to find. I knew I had seen many plaid fabrics at some of the chain sewing stores nearby so I suggested we take a look. Pillows can be time consuming but if you keep them simple...no binding, piping or fancy inserts etc...it's basically 4 seams. Well, we decided to make a flap back so a little more work...but this makes the insert removable and the pillow cover washable.

 I also had a silkscreen of some pine boughs which seemed to work well in the corner. There will be some other smaller, fancy pillows in front covering up a large area so I thought putting the design in the corner would allow it to show.
 I did a mirror image on the pillows as they'll be on 2 chairs next to each other.
 I used Lumiere paint which has a high metallic content to screen the images.
 I made the flap deep enough so I wouldn't need buttons or snaps to keep it closed...
 And the plaids don't match but we didn't have enough fabric to get a match....AND it is in the back...AND they are only out for a short time....AND...I know enough excuses....but they are cute from the front!
We had enough small pieces to make this very small pillow (still waiting to be sewn) which is filled with pine needles. I save our Christmas tree from the year before...out in the compost pile - a little separated from the rest...and when the needles dry out, I try and gather them. They make fabulous little pillows and the pine needle smell lasts for years...a fun project...
I am linked to Off the Wall Friday, Whoop Whoop Friday and Richard and Tanya Quilts.

5 comments:

  1. That's brilliant. Kind of like a little art stitching. it gives a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silk screening accent is the perfect touch. Beautiful pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your screen printed pillows, what a great addition to your Holiday decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to add the silk screen accents!!!

    ReplyDelete