To continue our Folly adventure...day 2 was more of the same but with the addition of Eco printing and batiking.
We prepared our bundles - fabric and leaves tied up very tight with string and shrink wrap, and boiled them in a vinegar and water bath for @ an hour. Mary and I had recently taken a workshop in Eco printing and became very familiar with which plants impart color and which ones don't.
We also did some paper...same process and mordant. I found a little booklet that my mother had - belonged to a spoon collection and talked about the 13 original colonies. I thought it would be interesting to try and print on that.
But first....dunk it into an Indigo bath for some nice blue color.
I also had some very old magazines I thought would be fun to print on.
We made many layers of paper and leaves and in between tried different colorants - like this piece of tissue paper which imparted some great color.
We also used a Marigold which gave color from both the flower and leaves.
This beautiful long strip of China silk that Kate created was a great success. She will probably use this to make one of her beautiful books.
Here is a piece of paper printed with Sumac - a highly successful plant for imparting color. After printing, I dipped it in Indigo.
The batiking was fun although I've never been a big fan as I don't like dealing with the wax. I did it years ago and used a mixture of paraffin (very brittle) and bees wax (very pliable)...together they make a perfect blend...only problem, they are hard to remove...ironing between newspaper helps but still much of the wax stays behind. Soy wax is the answer which washes out easily but I didn't have any...next time.
Here is my piece of batik...since this pic, I've ironed and ironed to remove wax and it's still stiff as a board..so it's either bring this tiny piece to the dry cleaner which can remove it or toss it with a good lesson learned...I'm thinking the latter....but I do see soy wax in my future....More great results to follow...