Friday, March 8, 2019

When is a Broom Not a Broom?

When I marble on fabric, which I love to do, it a a few solid days of committment as the set-up is quite involved.. I tried many methods for dropping the paint onto the surface of methyl cellulose...many use eyedroppers but I've always preferred to use the whisks from a broom.
When I used to teach marbling, I purchased it in bulk to accomodate lots of students...but now it is just for my use. It is not an easy item to find - actually impossible...so what to do. Well I went to a large chain store and purchased a broom...a good old fashioned broom - one that brought back lots of memories of my grandmother and the way she cleaned.
Wow...are these things well made...so strong and very difficult to take apart..but once that was accomplished...
I made them into little bundles around 6" long and wrapped with twine and rubberbands. I used the rubberbands first to hold them in place and then secured with twine. The rubber bands will eventually disintergrate so the twine is there as a back-up....Bring on the marbling!

3 comments:

  1. I’ve been fortunate to have you share one of your bundles with me as we spent time marbling……hey…it’s time to set a date….we haven’t done that in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW..what a clever idea!!! Will keep that in mind...yea, right! Like I'll remember if I do marbling again! But I think this would work with some dyes/paints! HMMMMMMMMMM Only time I used the bristles from a broom were for the cactus prickles on a quilt I made! HA I sewed about a 5-6" collection of broom sticks then bent them in the middle! Worked great and you know what! Someone actually bought that quilt! HA I often wonder where they hung it! HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took your marbling class probably 15 years ago and still am in love with the process. I always use broom straw as well and it is my favorite too. Thank you for introducing me to this art. I took a class with Elin Noble later on and built on your good foundation!

    ReplyDelete