Sunday, August 25, 2019

Indigo and Shibori Pt. 2

So my internet has been down for several days and my sharing of results have been delayed. After our fun day of Indigo dyeing, I had 2 luscious pots of dye still very useable and the following day free and clear + sunshine...so what does that suggest to you.....Yup....my own personal day of working with Indigo....not as much fun as being with the girls, but fun still the same.
Here's the first batch, hanging to dry....I was hunting for all sorts of things to use......Luckily many friends over the years have given me old white linens; I also went into my bins of hand dyes and do-overs....all did well ......so here's my show and tell....bottom left - a scarf blank I got years ago created with the Devore technique and ready for dyeing. The fabric, in order to use the Devore technique has to be a blended fabric of rayon and silk. The chemical will burn away the rayon velvet and leave the silk behind. Patterning is done on velvet (dark), those areas that are obvious were not treated with chemical...Light silk areas were. On right, I had a piece of dyed rayon, not too pretty so it was folded and dipped...I like it better now.


I have always loved silk and have rolls of it on hand in every type...Above is crepe du Chine, noil. and silk broadcloth - all very successful but different depths of color.

On left, folded and clipped with a clothespin, on right a variety of folding and crimping techniques
The piece above was resisted using long wood screws; the screw was placed inside the fabric, string wrapped around starting at head of screw and going all the way down..an interesting effect. Below, this may be my favorite piece. I started with an unsuccessful piece of brown hand dyed fabric, folded and clamped it with CD discs. I loved the effect it achieved. With this technique as with so many in surface design, you never know what to expect which is part of the fun. Even if you get an "ugly", there will always be something else you can do to it.

The 2 above, left - fabric clamped with old fashion curlers. On right, corks were placed in different areas and fabric wrapped around and tied. On bottom, left - fabric loosely placed inside of a stocking to achieve varying degrees of color - done on a silk crepe. The fabric on right had already been dyed years before and needed a lift so I folded and clamped it to create some darker areas.

Above, another brown piece, folded and clamped. Brown seems to do pretty well with Indigo...a nice marriage of colors.

On left, another wrapping of corks or buttons, on right - far right a piece of tone on tone pink silk and to the left a piece of hand dyed rayon from a friend. It was a large piece and thought I could spare a small amount to try Indigo on...loved ithe results.
This piece of mercerized cotton was scrunched and put in a stocking. I wanted a lot of white areas. Below...both the same fabric but one on left is true color, the one on right got washed out somehow. I wanted to show the amazing texture...It's a China silk which has been crinkled and fused to a backing gauze. It is bulky but beautiful; it has been hand washed several times, doesn't need to be ironed...almost afraid I would lose the crinkles...
A fun day was had by all.....(me ( - : )

No comments:

Post a Comment