Saturday, June 5, 2021

I Got It!!

It's here....my heat press that is. This is my birthday present which didn't come back in December - no leaves for experimenting. I am signed up for Jane Dunnewold's online Botanical Printing with a Heat Press class and I couldn't be more excited.
Jane is a marvelous teacher; I took her Complex Cloth week long workshop probably 20 years ago. It opened up a whole new way of working for me. 
A cart is coming soon and I'll be able to roll this out to the deck which is right off my studio. In the meantime, I have to get the press ready. The first step is to protect the plates with a Teflon cover.
I ordered the sheets of Teflon, cut them to size which was 15"square plus a seam allowance. Sewing very stretchy fabric in triangular shapes for the corners was the next step.  T-shirt fabric was a suggestion but it didn't seem heavy enough so I thought bathing suit fabric - very stretchy and heavier. 
I found what I was looking for at our local chain sewing store...pricey but I only needed a quarter of a yard and still far less expensive than purchasing made ones.
So here you go....
fabric sewn on corners top and bottom....
which slip over nicely on the top plate and
bottom...so I'm ready! The first session is Monday and I can't wait.
Even though I've been Eco printing for several years, I've never used a press so this is a totally new experience for me...will keep you posted.
 

1 comment: