Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day

Being a Brownie scout meant lots of things - crafts, games, fun snacks and one of the biggest thrills - marching in the Memorial Day Parade. It was a day off from school, the beginning of summer and a chance to be with our little girlfriends. 
 We all carried little flags and someone got to carry the big flag - sometimes me, my mom was the leader and I would beg her to pick me. We would march down Main Street in Farmingdale, New York, very proud, smiling and full of giggles. We knew what the holiday stood for, but for us little kids, it was more of a day of fun.
 Fast forward 35 years and I have my own Brownie troop (me - top right); We still celebrated Memorial Day but no parades with Brownie troops included. Times have changed and I'm grateful for those simpler times.
I'm also very grateful for all the men and women who have or still are serving our country with courage and integrity. A BIG thank you for all you do and all you have done
and Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Ditto your sentiments.......also have to say.....love that patchwork fan vest!!!

    ReplyDelete