Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands

The Southern Highland Craft Guild holds 2 fairs a year, always the third full weekend in July and October at the Asheville Civic Center in downtown Asheville.  My husband and I have been going to this fair for 25 years, first as attendees and now myself as a participating artist. When we lived in Atlanta, we made a special trip to Asheville for the fair; it was always wonderful and exciting to be part of.
The quality and variety of work is exceptional. You will see everything from pottery and fiber to wood, jewelry, marbling and even an artist who does caning on chairs. They also have educational demonstrations going on during the 4 days of the fair.  I have to say, that is where I learned to marble on fabric, watching Mimi Schleicher and Laura Sims do their magic each year. If you are in the area, I strongly encourage you to stop by, you will have a wonderful day!
   And while you're there, stop by booth # 10 to say hi...that's my booth and I'll have my scarves along with lots of other things. My scarves are made using 4 processes.
I use a variety of silks including charmeuse, China, crepe du Chine, chiffon and a silk wool blend.
I use silk acid dyes which gives brilliant color.
I also discharge and then overdye to give more depth to the surface.
I have both very bright and subdued looks.
This is the silk wool blend, an interesting texture.
Hope to see you at the fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment