Monday, July 6, 2009

Windows I Part 3

I've been working on this Windows piece, I'm anxious for it to be done so I can move onto something else. I'm happy with the piece but think it needs something more. A couple of years ago I took a week long workshop with Pat Mink who has great knowledge in the area of digital printing on fabric. Pat layers her images by printing the same image in different fabrics and then cutting away parts of one of the images and laying it on top of the same image in a different fabric - does that make sense! She creates wonderful depth and texture by doing so. I created the next 2 images in different fabrics from the original cotton image. I ironed fusible web on the back after it was printed and will cut away part of it and lay it on top of the original image.
In the image above, part will be in cotton and part will be in noil. In the image below, part of it will be cotton and part in gauze. It is a subtle and interesting look.
This is the gauze with the fusible web on the back. The fusible cuts down on the "airyness" of the gauze but you still have that wonderful texture.
Here's the silk noil with fusible web on the back.
Digital cameras are great for taking pictures of different layouts to compare them side by side. Years ago, we relied on a Polaroid - this is so much better. This is one of the arrangements.
And this one, although I'm not crazy about the long narrow strips in the center.
It still needs something and I thought of silkscreening a tree on the light green area;  the branches would fall into the window, which appeals to me. However, silkscreen is permanent and scary to just jump in and do. I found an easy solution. I went to a sewing store and bought some "tablecloth" fabric in clear plastic. It had a lot of body and only $1.98 a yard. I silk screened the image on the clear plastic and laid it over the quilt. You can also screen different color paints to see what works best.
Here is the plastic with the screened image -  it was a quick and easy solution to a problem.
You can get a real good feel of how the image will look when screened on the fabric.  I used black to make it obvious but not necessarily the color I'll use; I'll make some samples in other color paints.

1 comment:

  1. Judy....we've probably talked about this...but your readers may be interested. I've used clear plastic table cloth material for years to audition quilt patterns/motifs for my wall quilts. I use the removable markers made for writing on white boards......if you don't like your choices....just wipe them off and try again!

    ReplyDelete