Thursday, September 25, 2014

Shroom's in the Forest

I finished another Haiku piece made from scraps of leftover projects...lots of deconstructive screen printed fabric along with
silkscreened fabric done with a discharge paste using a cheesecloth image.
I also ran it through my inkjet printer as I thought it needed something else on top of the mushrooms. I liked branches from trees; with a lower opacity set in photoshop, the image is not as strong which I wanted.  The right edge needed some interest so I screened some skeleton leaves on the fabric using a discharge paste...thought it might be too strong and tried covering it with gauze but that didn't work. Flipping it over to the wrong side where the image was more faint was an afterthought but worked best.
Since this piece was going to be mounted, I didn't need a backing fabric ...just batting and a sheer fabric I use called soil separater cloth found in home improvement stores. It's similar to a nonwoven interfacing but this cloth is used to line large pipes underground to prevent soil from migrating into them. There are so many ways to use it in a quilting studio.
After simple quilting, I needed to finish the edges and decided on a binding type edge but easier as I didn't turn the edge under on the back side...no need to and it also eliminated bulk.
I sewed the binding onto the edge on front, flipped it to the back and pinned it in place along the seam line.
I threaded my machine with a monofilament thread on top and stitched in the ditch along the seam line to hold the binding in place.  You can see how the binding looks at the right edge...
and how it looks on the back.

Next step was to attach the quilt to a black fabric which would be wrapped around a pre-stretched canvas board. I cropped this image but the black fabric extended out quite a bit so to make sure it was able to wrap around the board and onto the back.  When the placement was right, I pinned a LOT all around the 4 edges and using a monofilament thread, stitched in the ditch  on all 4 seam lines (where binding was attached to piece.
I prepared the canvas board which was 12" square x 3/4" deep by laying a piece of batting on top (after lightly spraying with 505) and bringing it around to the back. A few staples held it in place.
Here is the tricky part....you lay the prepared board on top of the black fabric with the quilt piece on the outside (facing the table). It needs to be lined up perfectly so the piece fits exactly on the board. I uses 505 spray here also...lightly on the batting which will hold the black backing fabric in place. If you need to readjust, easy to do.
Using an electric or heavy duty stapler, staple one side in the center, then the other side, top and then bottom. Check the front to make sure it's even...
Go back and alternately staple one side, the other, top and bottom...constantly checking the quilt to make sure it's even.
I finished the back with another piece of black fabric, picture frame wire,  eye hooks and labels.
Shroom's in the Forest and the Haiku....


                                            
Dark and Foreboding
the forest bids us to come
wonder beholds us


6 comments:

  1. Great post! Thank you so much for sharing this process. I have just started using stretched canvas and on my blog post today called out for suggestions on how other people do it. I have never seen this method before. I'm going to pin this to my Pinterest board so I can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt, thank you for sharing! Very interesting to follow the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jusy, thanks for showing this process. I think small pieces look so much better stretched or framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, I agree, takes them to a new level...

      Delete
  4. This is a really interesting post - I always like to see the process not just the finished product. And your end piece is very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ....I always like to see the process on things also...

      Delete