A couple of years ago or less, my daughter Jill bought this quilt kit because of the finished piece on display in a quilt shop. It was a great piece but I thought to myself, my daughter doesn't even own a needle and thread so hmmmm.....wonder how this is going to go together.
Well, I found out quickly when I offered to do it and she jumped on the opportunity. It really is a wonderful piece even though I'm not prone to kits, but it would have been difficult. There were 5 pieces to each block - A, B, C, D, E, but each letter had a different size depending on the block; Each block had to be handled individually. I've had the top done for ages, also had made throw pillows out of fabric we bought that matched some in the quilt.
Well before the pillows wore out, I thought I needed to finish this piece. I did an overall quilt/stipple type pattern which was fine as the fabric patterns were busy.
We chose the backing to be plain and I thought maybe to use it also as a binding, but no, it was way too light. What to do - I went to the quilt shop and bought a few I thought would work, but not so. Sometimes the best choices are right under our nose and we don't realize it.
The scraps left over from the quilt might do, especially something dark, many tiny pieces except for this one piece which was used only once in the quilt.
It was perfect as a binding, cut on the bias, making this strip like pattern easier to work with. And note that this was all that was left after binding this large quilt. Guess, luck was with me this day.
The binding really was a winner for this piece....
and the final piece. I think Jill will love it. Like I mentioned before, I'm not usually thrilled with kits, but this one was darling and I love both the prints and the way they were combined.