Friday, December 20, 2013

From the Woodpile

What can you do with lots of logs besides burn them?
 Our neighbors tree fell in their yard and offered the logs to us. They had already cut the logs but didn't think they would use them as they live most of the time in Florida.
 There were some great logs with wonderful, interesting bark.  I thought they might make some good candle-stands.
 I decided to incorporate some of them into a table centerpiece.  I started with a narrow piece of wood my husband donated to the cause.  I lightly sanded it.
 and had the choice of which barks to use; there were 2 very distinct barks.
 Using a band saw, my husband cut them into different heights, not really knowing how or where I would use them. He cut many more than I needed to give me lots of options.
 Some would go in the centerpiece - made from artificial silk greens.
 They were somewhat hidden but did the job of raising the candle up high enough...
 but I really loved the ones that stood on their own.
A few days later I saw something similar in one of the chain craft stores and here I thought I was being so clever! at least it didn't cost us anything, just a little time.
My little granddaughter is coming tomorrow and it will start to get crazy around here so I want to take this opportunity to wish you a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I am so happy and thankful to have you a part of my life.

1 comment:

  1. So clever!!! Merry Christmas....and how very wonderful to enjoy Christmas with a nearly 2 year old...that's when it really begins to be fun for grandparents!

    ReplyDelete