Saturday, August 20, 2016

Sunprinting with Fiber Junkies

We had a second meeting of Fiber Junkies this month as we had to miss July completely...we were shy 2 members but had Gen's daughter Carol with us. Carol loves to do what we do - making messes with fabric (has her mom's genes) and fits in with our group so perfectly. We decided to keep the meeting light and hope for sun as we decided to revisit sunprinting.
 We used Set a Color paints - transparent but I do know that any transparent paint will work. I've used Createx transparent with good results. The paint needs to be watered's suggested 2 parts water to 1 part paint. If they are not thinned enough, the printing can not take place as the paint is too dense to start with.

Most of us used cotton, but really anything that works with Set a Color should work fine. Paint was applied to the surface - on the left Mary is using wool as she works with wool so much.
 Clever Carol and Gen used several colors which made for a more interesting finished effect.

Gen also used an interesting piece of netting to lay on top. I didn't think it would do much as it was so thin, but it really worked well.
 Some really good things to use - a plastic holder for paper plates and a plastic rack for holding yards of lace.
 Things that were heavier and able to make a tight contact with the fabric gave the best results....above a mat for the sink - also great for deconstructive screen printing.

I had some gummy stick on window decals purchased after Valentines day and on right, fabric leaves.
The glittery fern worked well as it sat closely to the fabric surface.

 I didn't see the results of the above as we left before all things were uncovered....

The sequin waste worked of my favorites...along with the stencils.
 In my never-ending quest to do something with leaves, I did find some flat ones that seemed to hug the last, maybe I'll get some good leaf images.
 Here was some construction fencing....

AND NOW THE RESULTS....The paper plate holder and lace rack - great!...the sequin waste...really great. We all loved the way some parts not touching the fabric allowed for some spaces. My leaves (on right) failure and my cupid's hearts...semi okay

The fake glittery fern was kind of for the rest...will have to wait until next time to see the results. After these dry, they should be heat set with an iron (or whatever your paint recommends) then rinsed in a bucket of water.
Til next time....

1 comment:

  1. I think you always get some nice results with sun printing and if not,you can always layer and try it again! Your group is always very productive with great results!