Thursday, October 1, 2020

Recycling - Shimmering Forest

I made this piece a few years back with my Fiber Junkies group. We were experimenting with the layering of very thin paper, stencils and paint. It was lots of fun...not a technique I would repeat but still fun to learn something new.
I thought of selling it at a reduced price at one of the local shows I was involved in but it didn't catch anyone's fancy....so I thought....why not cut it up - GULP.....and make it into cards. It's probably not as lucrative but at least I'm recycling which is always a good thing.
I think I was able to get 6 cards out of this piece. 
I put a fusible web on the underneath side of the fabric, pinked the edges with pinking shears 
and ironed them to card blanks. I also stitched around the edge of the fabric with a decorative thread for added stability.
They turned out pretty nice and I'm so pleased I was able to find another use for them. They are in my gallery space at the historic Woolworth building on Haywood Street in Asheville, NC. If you're ever in the area, do stop in; there's so much to see and if you venture downstairs to the lower level, head on over to # 235 (left aisle)...Hope to see you there.

2 comments:

  1. These turned out great as fiber cards...original piece was very nice as well...but once my friend started to cut up her quilts (and they were large quilts!) she talked me into doing this with some of mine as well! Works great...looks like the cropping we did in Hilary's online class!!!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea……I still have several pieces I made during our FJ meeting……though I don’t make cards to sell, this concept would made a great gift!

    ReplyDelete