Monday, August 3, 2009

Asheville Quilt Show

The Asheville Quilt Guild in Asheville, NC is holding its annual quilt show this weekend at the NC Arboretum. The quilt show in and of itself is worth the price of admission,  but you'll also see beautiful gardens, a Bonsai exhibit, walking trails and wonderful vendors. We are fortunate to have the use of all the facilities at the arboretum; we literally "take over" the place for 3 glorious days, so please join us if you're in the area, and if not, it's really worth the trip. This year as in years past, there are wonderful demos going on during the course of the show. It's a great time to relax in air conditioning, catch your breathe and watch many talented artists do what they do best.  I will be presenting 3 non-traditional ways to finish the edges for an art quilt. Here's some of what you'll learn:
I call this the "Pillowcase Finish", good for small pieces and very easy to do!
This next one I use the most - "Facing a Quilt". This takes me back to clothing construction days, doing facings on garments, grading the seams and understitching for a nice flat edge. That's what I'll be showing here.

It gives a nice clean, flat edge to the piece. For art quilts I prefer this to a binding because it is more non-traditional.
I'll also be showing the "Museum Wrap" using stretcher bars, wrapping the fabric and making nice clean corners, and a back that winds up like
this!
Please come join us if you can.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judy, Sadly I'll miss your demo since I'll be working the boutique during that time. Nice to see you today.

    ReplyDelete