A couple of weeks ago, I ventured into the world of snow dyeing. I've had some interesting results.
Some observations - good color...of course I would have assumed that as I used lots of dye powder and great mercerized pfd cotton broadcloth. Another very obvious difference between this and ice dyeing was the crispness of the design (see farther down the post). This piece used wet fabric which had been soaked in soda ash. It measures @ 24" square. I like the design but very soft edges.
In the same tray, I also tried a smaller piece measuring @ 15" square.
This piece is also around 24" square and started with wet fabric also soaked in soda ash.
And a close-up of the center.
This is the smaller 15"square which was soaked in soda ash, let dry and manipulated. The dye powders were applied to dry fabric.
And the bigger 24" piece of fabric also dry. I didn't see much difference between starting wet or dry.
But here is where the difference was really obvious...the above is ice dyed (from several months ago) and the one above that is snow dyed...same technique except for the use of snow or ice. The ice dyeing created much sharper edges and a more crystalline effect. I really liked the ice dyed one better but am happy for the chance to try working with snow...We don't get much snow here so this is probably it for this season.
And here is the underneath piece of fabric...fabric placed in the pan underneath the racks of fabric to catch the drippings. I am linked to Off the Wall Fridays and Whoop, Whoop Friday. Check out these fun sites to see what other fiber artists are up to.