Thursday, January 19, 2017

Snow Dyeing Results

A couple of weeks ago, I ventured into the world of snow dyeing. I've had some interesting results. 
 Some observations - good color...of course I would have assumed that as I used lots of dye powder and great mercerized pfd cotton broadcloth. Another very obvious difference between this and ice dyeing was the crispness of the design (see farther down the post). This piece used wet fabric which had been soaked in soda ash. It measures @ 24" square. I like the design but very soft edges.
 In the same tray, I also tried a smaller piece measuring @ 15" square.
 This piece is also around 24" square and started with wet fabric also soaked in soda ash.
 And a close-up of the center.
 This is the smaller 15"square which was soaked in soda ash, let dry and manipulated. The dye powders were applied to dry fabric.
 And the bigger 24" piece of fabric also dry. I didn't see much difference between starting wet or dry.
 But here is where the difference was really obvious...the above is ice dyed (from several months ago) and the one above that is snow dyed...same technique except for the use of snow or ice. The ice dyeing created much sharper edges and a more crystalline effect. I really liked the ice dyed one better but am happy for the chance to try working with snow...We don't get much snow here so this is probably it for this season.
And here is the underneath piece of fabric...fabric placed in the pan underneath the racks of fabric to catch the drippings.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh…..these are great….we’ve only seen some of what you did….. BTW - I hope you are right…that this past snow will be the one and only of the season…..wishful thinking, at least up here where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snow dyed pieces--just beautiful work..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beautiful!!!! I love the brownish ones...you did get such great detail!!! Very, very nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both ice dyeing and snow dyeing. I did the same experiment with wet vs. dry soda ashed fabric with ice dyeing and noticed a profound difference between the two. I got good overall design in the mandala with the wet and a very half and half design on the dry. I have found that the fabric that is directly under the ice loses more of the color than the fabric below and always use a layer of fabric above the fabric that I want to dye. I call it my drop cloth. I also use one underneath on the grid so that I don't get lines on the fabric from the grid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth...thanks so much for sharing such great tips...I've always used a piece of fabric in the bottom of the tray to catch the drippings...as a drop cloth ...but have never used a piece on the grid to prevent lines...such a good tip and will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete