Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Very Special Quilt

I have a very dear friend, Barbara who lives in Marietta, Georgia. I've known her for over 25 years; she was one of the first quilters I met upon moving there in 1987. She was an art teacher and long ago turned her talent towards art quilts.   
Barbara was married to LD. I never could remember what the initials stood for but it was an unusual name and LD seemed to suit him better. LD died last year from Alzheimers. Barbara was his caretaker; he was able to be at home during the final hours which was comforting to her and her children.  I remember LD so well - a very kind and gentle man who loved wearing caps and t-shirts - his favorite outfit. I don't think I ever saw him in anything else (except at his daughter's wedding).  He had an extensive collection of caps and wore a different one everyday.  Barbara decided to make a quilt using his favorite ones.
It hangs in a place in her home where she can see it all the time, reminding her of the sweet man who wore them.
I've seen a lot of this kind of memorabilia type quilt - I really loved this one with the machine stitching around the caps, the masculine feel and interesting sashings. I thought it was a wonderful quilt and tribute to LD.

1 comment: