Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Gelli-Printing with the Fiber Junkies

This month at Fiber Junkies, we were working on a great indoor activity -  Gelli printing....great fun as always. We had lots to try; Denny brought several different kinds of printing surfaces along with many masks/resists. We all had lots of different paints along with some silk screens I brought. They often work nicely on top of a dried gelli print.
But first...a quick show and tell....
 I love this new piece by Kate - lots of beautiful stitching and great autumn colors.
 Another whole cloth piece which has been hand marbled by Kate. It has a great watery feel with lots of movement.
 Another huge and beautiful quilt made with orphan blocks. Denny did a great job with color... as always....
and a detail....
 Denny showed us samples of fabrics dyed with Indigo mx and then compared them to fabrics dyed with preduced Indigo...some luscious prints. Denny is the experimenter in our group, always trying new things and always so sharing!
 This is a beautiful piece made by Gen with some great thread work on top.
 This is one of the "plates" Denny brought to try - a piece of blue foam board with plastic cling wrap on top to protect the surface from absorbing paint. It had an interesting feel to it when printing...not quite as "springy" as a gelli plate but it still worked well.
 Denny also made her own gelli plate which has a very different feel than the purchased ones.
 Here is another purchased plate that Denny brought - 12" x 12" -  a nice size.
 Mary was doing some printing on felt...
 using a clever!
 Denny brought her tree stencil which is fun to use. I laid it down to see how it would look...

The front....
 and the back which I was surprised to see it bleed through to the back for a more subtle but nice print.
 I also tried printing on a harder surface - had a slight texture to it which made it interesting on the surface....think you might be able to see it.
 Kate created this print and then did some silk screening on top.
 I really liked this piece of fabric, but it needed more. I coated the gelli plate with blue paint and laid down some circle shaped masks
 and also used the circles and green paint on this piece of fabric.
 This piece I used a silk screen on top...
 This piece also used circles (made out of file folders) to mask off areas.
 This piece was a combination of both gelli printing and a silk screen.
 This looks like a bit of a mish-mosh but the right side has some potential.
But there are some pieces that should have been left alone - like this one...I made it worse, so this might be hopeless although there are some in this group who would say...Never give up! You know who you are...
A wonderful, fun and productive day...this is just part of Denny's pile of new treasures...


  1. You did such a great job of documenting our day……I was terribly remiss, not only in the picture taking department but viewing what everyone was doing. What a feast for the eye!!

  2. WOW...the show and tell of finished work was amazing and then to see result from your 'play day',!!!! some great results there!