Monday, June 16, 2014

Happy Blues

Happy Blues started with a scrap pile, and a determination to use up some of these smaller pieces of fabric. I've often said I'm not a piecer but this is easy and not super precise...and great fun.

I tried to arrange the fabrics so they were going from dark to light, bottom to top. They are mostly cottons, some of my hand dyes and probably some silk...I was going for color and not necessarily fabric...I like the effect of the mix.
 I was adding daisies on top using a "sky" fabric microwave dyed and very pale with patches of white. I wanted to give it a little pop and started adding Lumiere paint to highlight it.
 It's a very dense paint with a high metallic content. It also dries quickly.

 Well.....I really didn't like it...borderline...hated it...just too strong. So I quickly ran it under water and using an old toothbrush, scrubbed the paint away. I would have just started over, but this was all the fabric I had on hand.
 I decided I really liked the white in there...sometimes it's just better to live with something a while which I should have done here....



I went back and added some discharge paste to different areas of the petals and really liked it so much better.
 I also added this cute little spikey flowers to give it more movement....
 and did a buttonhole stitch around the edge using my BERNINA. I really love that stitch and find myself using it more and more..it's decorative but subtle.
I used a dark denter in the daisies to give it contrast....
And now it's ready to quilt....I have a busy week so I don't know if I'll get to it for a while but I'm hoping to have it done for our Arboretum show in July....
Til next time..
I am linked to ninamarie Sayres blogspot - Off the Wall Fridays and www.confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com
Judy

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous!!! I love the idea for the background....such a good idea for using up bits of fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating to watch the quilt come together and follow your decisions along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, summery piece. I like your fabric treatment for the daisy petals--wonderful light/shadow effect.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how the daisies turned out. They enlightened the background while having colors that complement it well. The whole is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great use of scraps, I can't throw anything away either. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you....thank you....I can't say I made a dent in my scrap pile....but it was fun to do

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, how fresh and lovely. I also loved the process... making it work... keep on adding/subtracting. I love the white with blue undertones. Thanks for showing us!!! :LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It came out great. Absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete