Friday, May 22, 2009

It's a small world afterall

Last night I had great fun presenting a program to the Western North Carolina Quilt Guild in Hendersonville, NC - a lovely group of women with lots of talent. I was taken to dinner at the Inn on Church Street in downtown Hendersonville. It was lovely and the food delicious. The Inn is celebrating its 90th year in business. That's Filet Mignon buried underneath those onion straws.
I arrived at the meeting, settled in to get ready for my favorite part - Show and Tell, when I realized I forgot my camera - boooo on me! Needless to say, I have no pictures to share of this talented group of ladies but I do have a cute quilt story that came out of the evening. My presentation was on "Inspirations" and what inspires people to make the quilts they do, followed by a small trunk show of my quilts and the inspiration behind them. One of the quilts I showed was created for an invitational show I was involved in a while back. For the show Quilt dialogues/Vintage Inspired Art Quilts, each artist was given a picture of a vintage quilt. We were to create an art quilt using inspiration from any aspect of our "vintage quilt". It could be color, pattern, name etc. it was wide open. I was given a picture of a 1930s Dresden Plate, very bright pure colors done in the very traditional pattern of the Dresden Plate.
I went to a home improvement store to get paint chips to match up to the colors in the pictures that was to be my inspiration. I then dyed fabric to match the colors in the quilt and also filling in with some "vintagy" looking prints.
I scoured my tole painting books from years ago as I wanted something whimsical; I found some adorable hat designs by Jo Sonja. I changed them around so they were part of a garden, added Dresdan Plate flowers, squiggles, my own touches and came up with "Dresdan Hat Garden".
As I was showing this quilt and telling the story behind it, a voice from the audience said "that was my grandmothers quilt" Say that again I replied." Really, that was my grandmothers quilt" I said you mean your grandmother made one just like this one. No, she said, that quilt WAS my grandmothers quilt. Well, knock me over - how exciting to meet Pat Childress, the grandaughter of the maker of this Dresdan Plate. Pat told me her grandmother was Nellie Pitt Holland; she was a professional garment seamstress from the age of 15 until 85 and lived to be 96 years old. Pat went on to say how she had loaned this quilt to be part of the exhibit, saw the exhibit but never met the maker of the "Inspiration quilt". What a nice moment and what a small world it really is and thanks Pat for sharing that little piece of history with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment