Friday, December 16, 2011

Shibori

A couple of weeks ago while getting ready for the holiday fair, I found myself up to my elbows in dye pots.  I was dyeing silk scarves using an acid dye.  I like to have a large variety of colors so I'll do 2 at a time and try to use as many colors as possible. There is some waste of dye, even though I do small batches, there should be more silk present to absorb all the dye.  I had an idea to use my silk scraps and do some Shibori in the dye pot at the same time.  It was very serendipitous, but thought I have nothing to lose so go for it!
 I did very easy wrapping, rubber bands, clamps, string etc.
 Years ago, my husband cut shapes out of plexiglass for me to use - 2 of each shape - one for the top and one for the bottom of the folded fabric.
 I wasn't fussy, just grabbed pieces of silk - some were solid and some were printed like you see below.
 This was a piece of silk charmeuse - a sample I had made and serged the edge.  Acid dyes will only work on silk fiber, the thread edge was not silk which is why it remained white.
 This scrap was leftover from a lining I made; it's also stamped.
 This next one is funny, I think it's very obvious what I used to create that shape (will reveal at the end of post)
 Can you guess what I used to resist the area to get this shape?
 Think Retro - something we all suffered through to look beautiful!

 Nope not this, these are switch plates - makes for great designs when used in Shibori.
 Remember these? I spent many sleepless nights with these in my hair - whoever thought I would find a much better use for them.
Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment