Friday, November 15, 2013

Puttin' Away the Rust

I like to create rusted fabric in warm weather when it's nice to be outdoors and the sun speeds up the process.

My rusting for this year has come to an end and I'm happy to move on to something else.
I did one last batch of scarves to put away for future sales - some with good results, others not so good.
I used a lot of my indigo pieces as I thought the white areas were a bit strong and hopefully the rust would tone them down.
This was done on a crepe du Chine which always gives good results.
The chiffon scarf is probably my favorite and enough rust to make it interesting.
Some scarves were just overdone with rust.
Like this one - way too much rust. I think part of the problem was I layered the scarves so they had rust touching them from the layer beneath and then more rust on top. Also, I scrunch them up and some parts don't touch the rust, I think it's going to be the right amount, but sometimes, it's just too much.
I think some of these will be good candidates for pieces in a quilt, we'll see, all is not lost.

5 comments:

  1. I love the combination of the rust and the indigo. Really interesting work: well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on Off the Wall Friday, your rusted scarves are beautiful! Is it permanent? I don't think any of it is too much rust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...rust is so permanent...I found out the hard way when I got rust on clothing many years back and tried everything in the world to get it out...wouldn't budge and had to throw the garment out...Anything you rust has to be neutralized with baking soda to stop the rusting process...

      Delete
  3. does the rust stabilize on fabric, and stay the same over time or does anyone know how it effects fabric.
    I know food stains my shirtfronts and will never wash out, but trying to dye fabric with food doesn't seem to be stable...makes no sense. I wondered if rust would eat away fabric eventually like the old red dyes in antique quilts.
    LeeAnna Paylor lapaylor.blogspot.com leeannaquilts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LeeAnna...the rust is very permanent (see comment above) but you have to neutralize the process once the rusty item is removed from fabric to stop any further rusting or deterioration. You can do this with a baking soda solution. There are a lot of good tutorials on You Tube...

      Delete