Thursday, October 22, 2009

Boone, NC Revisited

My husband and I love to take short trips in the fall, taking advantage of the beautiful weather and color. Yesterday our destination was Boone, NC. I was there 2 weeks ago with my PTA group to see "12 Voices" at the Turgin Center for Visual Arts; I wanted John to see it also - so up to Boone we went. Our first stop was the Annex to the original Mast General store. Mast is our favorite store in Asheville, this one in Valle Crucis is the oldest one - over 100 years old. It's great fun to see, like taking a trip back in time.
I love all the "penny" candy in barrels, not a penny anymore but so much fun to get a bucket and pick and choose from a great variety.
There is an entrance in the back of Mast General with a sitting area and wonderful old, rusted signs.
And shelves loaded with jams and jellies
I love this old Coke machine, still in use and very different than the ones we have today.
And the wonderful antiques along the ledge.
This wonderful piece holds all kinds of nuts and bolts and still sold loose, like 100 years ago, no packages here!
And a genuine "sit and play a spell" station for checkers...
And remember these wonderful post office boxes with the little dials to create your own combination. My parents had one and here they're still in use.
Love this sewing cabinet
And more antiques.
The floors were very uneven everywhere, so "watch you step".
These chairs in the shoe department really tickled me.
Our next stop was along the Blue Ridge Parkway to Moses Cone Craft Shop - one of 5 shops owned and operated by the Southern Highland Craft Guild. Members of the guild sell their work in these shops.
We drove home along the Blue Ridge Parkway which is always magical, especially this time of year. The views were breathtaking.
The parkway in the late afternoon is my favorite time - there are deep shadows on the mountains.
I can see why they are called the "Blue Ridge" Mountains.

And even some icicles, wow, keeps getting better and better.
And the color - of course, the color.
Such a magical day and today back to work in my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment