Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fiber Junkies March, 2012

Yesterday, was our Fiber Junkies meeting at my house where we continued to explore ways to color fabric. Last month was markers, this time was paints. It was great fun to see and try all the wonderful products available for painting and also to be able to rule out those we could live without.  We made samples of each paint - some we used with an extender, some were used on wet fabric, some were used with a wet brush and some a dry brush - all gave different effects.  
 As always I learned so much and definitely came away with "favorites", things I'ld never tried before. The Tsukineco inks were among my favorites. The also have a spray ink which was wonderful and will have to look into those further.
 In the sample above, the pearlescent tube acrylic - gold color, was used straight from the tube, the sample on the right had GAC which is a textile medium added to it. It made such a difference in the color.
 We took a break for lunch and Kate made us this wonderful fresh strawberry pie for dessert - looks delicious and even better in person!
 Show and Tell in this group is always wonderful - so much talent.  Val made this wonderful piece out of her deconstructive screenprinted fabric.  This is my favorite technique but hard to know what to do with the fabric as it's so busy.


 Dee Dee brought a piece of felted fabric we all went wild over. She used Alpaca as a base and felted wonderful fabrics on top of it.
 Mary's head was spinning with all the beading ideas she had for this.
That's all for now, am leaving this morning to go visit my daughter in Atlanta. I have pulled out the shorts and summer tops as I have a feeling that's what I'll be wearing - too soon for me!
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Howdy Judy,

    These experiments are right on time for me! This summer I plan to paint some antiiques textiles that I inherited to use in fabric journals.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Would love for you to visit my blog, and become a follower when you have a moment or 2!

    Peace,
    Mary Lou 'LuLu' Haynes
    www.lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/lou_avatar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sampling and getting inky with friends.
    TFS.
    Blessings,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete