Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Spy Quilt Directions

In a recent post, I showed this very easy, very colorful "I Spy" quilt I'm making for my niece's baby. Below are sizes of blocks and general directions. This is such a fun quilt to make, think you'll enjoy it. It's also pretty much a "no brainer" kind of quilt which I truly appreciate from time to time - just play and sew. There are 5 blocks to a unit below and 12 units make a 36" x 48" quilt. For the smaller quilt, this will be 3 units across and 4 units down. For the larger 48" x 60" quilt of 20 units it will be 4 units across and 5 units down.
For the baby quilts, I use 12 units - still big enough to sit on but small enough to drag around.
For each unit cut the following:
(5) 4 1/2" squares of novelty fabric
(5) 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" bright solid fabric
(2 ) 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" bright solid fabric
Assemble 5 blocks of novelty with bright that measure 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" See below.
If you have a directional print, make sure it's going in the right direction when you place it in the unit.
On 2 of these blocks, add a bright solid that measures 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" so it looks like the block below.
Follow the diagram below to assemble the units into bigger blocks of 12" - this is 1 unit. For the smaller quilt, sew 3 units together to make rows 1 and the same for row 3 following the layout below. It's more interesting when assembled to alternate each row so rows 1 & 3 are the same and rows 2 & 4 are the same.
Sew 3 of these units together to make rows 2 & 4 which is a mirror image of rows 1 & 3.
After completing the rows, sew rows 1 & 2 together, 3 & 4 together and then both halves together to make your quilt top. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Love this tutorial--and the I Spy you made...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this quilt. Right now I just bought 2 flannel novelty fabrics I didn't know what I was going to do with. I saw this pattern and voila PERFECT. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern, so very kind of you and perfect for me. THANKS

    ReplyDelete